Keeping it Simple for Santa: The Perfect Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie



He doesn't have the time or the patience to maneuver through elaborate culinary trickery.  He wants it tasty and easy, a convenient nosh just out of the chimney flue to bolster him for the trip back out into the blustery night.

And it better be tasty.



So here's my recipe for what I believe is the perfect chocolate chip or anything chip cookie.  It's chewy, flavorful and comes with an edge of crisp to tease your molars.

The Cookie



Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup bread flour
2 cups packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1 large egg white
11 ounces  (22 tablespoons or just over 2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (I use European)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder

add ins

I divided the dough in half, putting 1 cup chocolate chips in one and 1/2 cup each of chopped macadamia nuts, dried cranberries and white chocolate chips in the other.

Procedure
preheat oven to 350º

-Cream together butter and sugar.
-Add eggs and egg white, one at a time.
-whisk together dry ingredients and slowly add to the mixer, being VERY careful not to over mix.

-fold in the add ins (this dough may require the use of your hands.  Don't be afraid to use them).

-I used a VERY large cookie scoop and spaced the cookies 3 inches apart.  Then I flattened them with the palm of my hand.

-Bake the cookies for 15 minutes or until slightly golden (you know how you like your cookies.  I prefer just a wee bit underbaked).

Here's the trick, though.  During the baking, about every 5 minutes, I pull on an oven mitt, open the oven and grab the cookie sheet and SLAM it down.  You see, I notice that the cookies are starting to puff a little.  Of course they are, they have leavening in them.  But I also want them CHEWY and flat.  So every 5 minutes I slam the cookie sheet to counteract the leavening puff.  Sounds absurd but I swear, this is what makes them super special.


Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and general happiness and well being, sweet people.

Popular Posts