The Devil's Cream: An Ode to Bonnie Finn


We'd never have met Bonnie Finn if I'd never made a Devil's Cream Pie.  That glorious and evil confection would never have been named if not for Bonnie Finn.  One day, she gave our little pastry shop a try, took the thick chocolate concoction for a spin and decided it was worth a return trip.  And then she stayed, working her magic behind our counter and into our hearts.  Along the way, she named the pie that brought her to the store.  The two, it seems, were meant for each other.

Today is Bonnie's birthday and in her honor, I give you the Pie that she so aptly named.  The exact recipe is in Confections of a Closet Master Baker aka My Life From Scratch but I thought a quick visual tutorial was called for, along with a few tips and tricks to make this sinful pleasure a staple in your home.


For a 10" Devil's Cream, I used an entire package of Oreos.  I pulverized them to the point of oblivion in my food processor.  It feels like soft sand when it gets this fine.  To make the crust, I melted 2 sticks of butter.  I ended up using only a little over 1 1/2 sticks.  I melt one stick at a time and slowly incorporate into the crumbs until the would be crust just holds together.  You never want the crumb crust to be wet and shiny but should be able to pinch the crumbs together and have them stay stuck.

 Spray your cake form with non-stick spray.  I use a 10" bottomless cake ring.  You can make the crust perfectly even to the top of the ring but I prefer a craggy crust.  The devil wouldn't have it any other way.


Pour the chocolate mixture through a sieve and make sure to use the best chocolate you can get your hands on.  I fill the form and often freeze overnight to set and then finish it off.  Use a blow dryer or a heat gun to get the ring off neatly.
Whip the meringue to very stiff peaks.  Leave the meringue as is or touch it lightly with the flame of a kitchen torch.  Happy Birthday Bonnie Finn!  There'd be no Devil in the Cream Pie without you.

Popular Posts